Budget-conscious UK ISP TalkTalk has finally launched its new pay-to-view (IPTV) platform today powered by Netgem and “4K TV box” available to new and existing customers on their fiber broadband plans (FTTC and FTTP). In addition to this, the supplier also claims to be the “first ISP in Europe” to launch TikTok on a TV box.
Last year we reported that the provider had adopted Netgem’s new managed service”Content as a servicewhich can work on a wider range of devices. But they also operate the same set-top box kit as Netgem’s other UK ISP partners (here). The first customer”trialsof it all started soon after, although initially only with customers on their full fiber plans (here).
The good news is that the new service went live today and it costs extra £4 per month to take (i.e. the same as their old service). Customers can access over 70 TV channels and on-demand players through the Netgem TV interface, which also supports 30 apps (e.g. Netflix, Amazon (Prime Video) and YouTube – all in 4K) and now includes TikTok.
The box itself also supports WiFi, Personal Video Recorder (PVR) functions (via an external USB drive) and comes with a voice remote.
Talk Talk TV 4K Box Specifications
CPU & MEMORY
● Processor: BCM 72604
● DMIPS: dual-core 7K
● 3D graphics: OpenGL ES 3.0
● System flash: 4 GB eMMC
● RAM: 2 GB DDR4
● Resolution: [email protected] (UHD 3840×2160 p50/60)
● HDR10, HLG, hardware color conversion
● Video decoder: HEVC/H265 (4Kp60-10bit Profiles 4.1 5.0 5.1), VP9 (4Kp60-10bit Profiles 0 and 2), AVC/H264 (1080p60, level 4.2), MPEG-2
● Audio decoder: MPEG-1/2 layer I/II/III, AAC/MPEG-4, HE-AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, Dolby ATMOS passthrough
● HDCP 2.2 over HDMI
● Hardware compatible with all major CAS and DRM (MS PlayReady, Verimatrix …)
● Watermark (Civolution, Verimatrix)
● HDMI 2.0 (UHD) with CEC and ARC
● S/PDIF digital audio output (optical)
● Support USB 2.0 Type A (500mA) for USB HDD
● Ethernet 10/100BaseT
● Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2×2 dual band (2.4 GHz – 5 GHz) with access point mode
● DVB T2+T+C interface
● Infrared receiver for standard remote control
● Bluetooth for voice remote control
● Bi-color LED on the front panel (blue/red)
● 128x128x38mm, rounded corners
● External power supply
– Input: 200-240 V AC
– Output: DC 12V 1.5A (TBD)
● Power consumption: typical ● Low power mode:
● EU Code of Conduct
Other features include Universal Search, compatible with Amazon Alexa devices, which allows customers to easily search for their favorite TV or movies across all services.
Jonathan Kini, Managing Director of TalkTalk Consumer and Direct Business, said:
“Our priority is to ensure that we offer the best entertainment and fiber packages on the market, at a great value. That’s why we’re thrilled to partner with Netgem to launch the TalkTalk TV 4K Box – bringing next-level entertainment to our customers and easy access to TikTok, Netflix and Prime Video.
Granted, set-top boxes like this are unlikely to outperform the offerings of more established pay-TV providers, such as those from Sky and Virgin Media, but they serve a useful purpose for those who haven’t yet found a TV. paying, streaming box or TV solution connected to the Internet adapted to their needs.